The 74th Regiment
armory at Elmwood Ave and Virginia.-Source: Geschichte der
Dutschen in Buffalo, 1898
photo of Main Street (Before 1890). Photo is unidentified but appears
similar to a CL Pond Photo.
1950 -McVans Nightclub on Niagara and Hertel Styreet in Buffalo.
Now the site of a Wilson Farms convience store. McVans was raided
several times during Prohibition for operating as a speakeasy. These
patrons are drinking Simon Pure Beer (a Buffalo Brand).
-Photo: Robert Petruzzi
SHOOT THE CHUTES -On the 1893 Sanborn maps two corners of a park
are shown, one is Main& E. Delavan with Scajaquada Creek
cutting it off and northeast of that it is labeled "BUFFALO
ATHLETIC FIELDS" with the outline of a track and sizable
grandstand connected to a "GATE" on Main St approximately
500' from the corner.
north of that is a rectangular area named "SHOOT THE CHUTES"
with an approximately 30x60' building or area marked "IRON
CLAD" which would be the type of building material, I have
to assume. On the key sheet Driving Park is simply named "Fair
Grounds" and not covered in detail within. As the Sanborns
were fire insurance related they often ignored unbuilt areas,
sometimes just leaving them entirely blank as if there was nothing
there at all. Two other buildings off Delevan approximately 400'
from Main St. are shown, both labeled "TRAINING QUARTERS."
In the section which shows the corner of E. Delevan and Jefferson
is another building about 100' east of the other two which is
J. Henry Priebe, jr.
Rich Schwegler & Sharon Centannecentans
The Corner of Swan
Street at Seneca near Ellicott Square Prior to 1895. -Photo
taken from the Picturebook or Earlier Buffalo
IRC "Breaker" Streetcar with a snowplow attached to the
front. This picture was taken during the great snow of March 18,
1936 in the Seneca Street-Hydraullics section of Buffalo.
-Source: Buffalo Courier Express March 18, 1936.
The old Olympic Theater at Lafyette Square in downtown Buffalo during
Bulding formerly St. Vincent's Female Orphan Asylum, Buffalo (in
charge of the Sisters of Charity. -Date Unkown
submitted by John Conlin,
Western New York Heritage Press
bridge over Delaware Avenue that passes between Forest Lawn
Cemetary and Hoyt Lake somewhere before 1898. The bridge now serves
as an overpass for Rte. 198.
Geschichte der Dutschen in Buffalo, 1898