Welcome to

About Us History as News Diaries Photo Gallery Forum History Peoples Pages About The Buffalonian

Buffalo Courier Express May 7, 1970

Off-Campus Violence Flares
2nd Night on UB Perimiter

Police Fire Shots; Tear Gas Chases Mob From Plaza

Violence erupted for a second consecutive night Wednesday as about 400 young people swarmed off the University of Buffalo campus and blocked traffic briefly at Main Street. And Niagara Falls Blvd., at the edge of the campus.

A city policeman fired four shots into the air about 11p.m. but it could not be ascertained whether he was using blanks or live ammunition.

The demonstrators then swarmed to the nearby University Plaza, at Main and Kenmore where they attacked a police K-9 van before being driven back onto the campus under a cloud of tear gas.

During the evening eight persons were arrested. They are:

Henry J. Krajewski, 21, of 260 Lisbon Ave., a receiving clerk, accused of loitering.

David Lipchick, 20, also of 260 Lisbon and a receiving clerk, loitering.

Peter J. Papas, 21 of New York City, disorderly conduct.

Thomas Peltz, 24, of 121 Shepard Ave., Kenmore, loitering.

Danial J. Polak, 19, of 51 Kingston Pl, a student, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Thomas A. Szczemy, 21, of 45-B Yale Ave., another student, unlawful possession of tear gas --a canister he threw back at police.

Patrick M. Planter, 21, of 28 Capen Blvd, disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

Thomas Gould, 17, of 101 Sargent Dr. Amherst, disorderly conduct.

Small fires were set early today in offices of the ROTC detachment in the basement and on the third floor of Clark Gymnasium on the UB Campus. Campus police put out the fire with a portable fire extinguisher before city fir fighters arrived. Firefighters used a hose hoseline to extinguish a burning desk in the basement.

2,000 March Downtown

The disorder followed a relatively peaceful march Wednesday afternoon by approximately 2,000 students into downtown Buffalo, where a brief rally was held at Niagara sq. During the march a dozen windows were broken and 11 persons arrested.

Wednesday eveningís first clash came shortly after 9:30 p.m. when the students rushed into Main St., following a rally in the Fillmore Room at Norton Union on campus.

During the Norton Union rally, which had been called to discuss the afternoon march, a student asked, ìAre we going to wait all night or are we going to move!î

The clashed which followed were limited to sporadic pockets of rock-throwing students being confronted by tear gas firing police.

A contingent of 20 Amherst policemen moved into the University Plaza which is on the Amherst side of the city line.

About 175 boys of high school age took up vantage points along the west side of Main St., directly across from the UB campus, and threw rocks at the rampaging demonstrators.

Members of the younger group called the older ones ìcommiesî and ìpigsî.

Deputy Police Commissioner Anthony P. Custodi ordered one police car from each of the 14 precincts to report to the nearby Kensington Station, with four officers per car.

Other news articles on the 1960's anti-war protest movement

A Brief History of the anti-war movement in Buffalo




Police Avoid Campus

Custodi ordered the reinforcements to remain at the station and stay clear of the campus.

During the afternoon massed platoons of city police wearing helmets and face shields, maintained mobile vantage points in the front and rear of the bobbing and weaving column of marchers.

The police funneled vehicular traffic on main St. around the massed group of marchers as they trekked along.

One of the biggest confrontations occurred on the way back when the University of Buffalo contingent, numbering some 500 young people, slowed at Delavan Ave., and began stoning the Manufacturers Traders & trust Co. branch office. Several windows were broken and two persons arrested.

Order was quickly restored when several police K-9 vans moved into the group splintering it into smaller factions. Police lined up some 50 marchers along the Forest Lawn Cemetery fence and searched them for rocks before letting them rejoin the main group.

Return to Campus

About 1500 students from Buffalo State College, who had been marching with the UB group had turned west at Ferry St., accompanied by police, and made their way back to the campus at Elmwood and Rockwell Rd.

The two groups had started and joined forces at Main and Ferry before moving on to Niagara Square.

Arrested during the march were:

Peter Aronson, 18, of Brooklyn, with an address also at 1197 Hertel ave., charged with attempting to incite a riot.

Peter Bryan, 22, of 80 Aldrich Pl., harassment.

Gerald T. Booker, 19, of Ithaca, with another address at 108 Winspear Ave., disorderly conduct.

Jeffery Sussman, 20, of Pikesville, MD., with an address at 4937 Transit Rd., Amherst, second-degree assault.

Charles A. Incorwaia, 23, of 723 Prospect Ave., second-degree assault.

Alan Kaufman, 20, of 21 Fairmount Dr., Town of Tonawanda, disorderly conduct.

Timothy Switalski, 19, of 267 Seabrook dr., Williamsville, disorderly conduct.

Louis Draundt, 18, of Darwin dr., Amherst, disorderly conduct and attempting to incite a riot.

Miss Jane Donohue, 25, of 47 Marvin St., disorderly conduct.

David Benders, 19, of 25 Tremaine Ave., Kenmore, harassment.

Robert Paolini, 16, of 35 Englewood Ave., harassment and possession of a dangerous weapon, a 9-inch piece of pipe.

Sussman was arrested by Acting Detective Alfred Rosenow of the Bureau of Vice Enforcement, who said he recognized Sussman as a youth who had hit him with a rock during the Feb. 12 disorders at UB.

The march had almost fizzled before it started when police halted the UB group at Main and Hertel, where Tuesday had erected a barricade and set it on fire.

Roadblock Formed

About 50, under command of Inspector Fredrick J. Platek, had established a roadblock at the intersection and appeared intent on preventing the marchers from moving into the heart of the city.

Dr. Anthony Lorenzetti, associate vice president for student affairs at UB, and two UB students, argued successfully with Platek that the marchers should be allowed to proceed.

Platek after conferring with headquarters, established the ìground rulesí with the march leaders, and the mass slowly moved off to join up with the Buffalo State group at Ferry St.

Voices Fail to Carry

Before reaching Niagara Sq., marchers, many of whom had been continuously shouting obscenities smashed a window on the first floor of the U.S. Courthouse on Franklin St.

After reaching Niagara Sq., several self-appointed leaders climbed the McKinley Monument to give speeches but because of the lack of amplification equipment their voices failed to carry even 30 feet.

Most of the foot-weary members of the bunion brigade took advantage of the rally to loll around the grass at the base of the monument.

City Hall Locked

About 100 attempted to "storm" City Hall but went back to the grass when they found the front doors locked.

Edward Levine, a UB student said the purpose of the march was to show people in a peaceful way they (the students) are concerned. "People donít do anythingÖ they are watching because they expect to see something happen. We are just showing them that just by marching peacefully, that we careÖ"

Students said that the march was to dramatize the students' concern over the death Monday of four Kent State University students, expansion of the war in Southeast Asia into Cambodia and "judicial repression."

Red Banners Flown

Several of the marchers carried red colored flags and banners calling for the release of Bobby Seale, a Black Panther.

About 100 students from D'Youville College had reached Niagara Sq. before the other group and marched down Court St. to Lafayette Sq. The two groups passed each other and continued their separate ways.

During the Niagara Sq. rally a student lowered t6he U.S. flag but another ran it back up the flagpole. The two plus several others, engaged in a heated debate, but the flag stayed up.

Main St. Opened

The march broke up shortly after 5:45 p.m. when the remnants of the UB contingent scattered onto the UB campus. The police then opened all of Main St. to vehicular traffic in both directions.

During the march a group of faculty members at UB stayed on campus and conducted a series of "educational and action oriented" programs to discuss Indochina, judicial inequality and university problems.

Although not upholding the idea of a "strike' of normal activities, Dr. Peter F. Reagan, acting UB president, called upon students and faculty to "participate to the fullest possible extent" in the lecture program, which he added "should have" the highest priority.

Students on campus had emphasized that they wished to examine ways in which in their concerns can be voiced to the general public and national leaders.

A general rally isschedulled in Washington, D.C. Saturday, and buses are being reserved to leave Norton Union.




about us | History as News™ | Diaries | home | Shop | Forum | History | Peoples Pages | Photo Gallery
All material on The Buffalonian™ is copyright ©1996-2001 all rights reserved. The Buffalonian™ is produced by The Peoples History Union. Assistance in producing the Buffalonian comes from the Western New York Heritage Press, Inc.

Internet Services Donated by The Blue Moon Online System